Covid 19 Prevention
Prevention of COVID-19
The best way to prevent infection is to get the vaccine and take steps to avoid exposure to this virus, which are similar to the steps you take to avoid the flu.
DSHS recommends these everyday actions to help prevent the spread of any respiratory virus, including COVID‑19:
- Wash hands often for 20 seconds and encourage others to do the same.
- If no soap and water are available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw the tissue away.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Disinfect surfaces, buttons, handles, knobs, and other places touched often.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
DSHS also recommends that you start practicing social distancing. Social distancing involves staying away from other people to avoid catching or spreading illness. It’s a fancy term for avoiding crowds and minimizing physical contact. This could mean avoiding concerts or weddings, skipping the handshake, and/or staying at least six feet away from others.
Additionally, the CDC recommends using simple cloth face coverings in public to help slow the spread of the virus:
See also the CDC website for more information on what you can do at home to prevent the spread of COVID‑19: