The Registered Nurse is responsible to the Sr. Executive Director for the nursing needs of Berry Family Services. The RN works with the LVN’s, Foster Providers and attendants to ensure the health and safety of each consumer. The focus of this position is to monitor the overall health care of the consumers, provide supervision and guidance to the LVNs and ensure the quality of all documentation. The RN reports to the Sr. Executive Director through the Director of Nursing.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Additional duties may be assigned.
- Adhere to the guidelines set forth by the Board of Nursing (BON) and the HCS Principles;
- Complete Initial Comprehensive Nursing Assessments on all new consumers;
- Complete Annual Physical Assessments, as needed;
- Complete Delegations when it is determined it is needed and ensures the delegated staff receives the appropriate training and skills are regularly monitored;
- Ensure tasks that cannot be delegated are completed by a licensed nurse;
- Ensure first dose of new medication is given by a nurse when medication administration is delegated;
- Complete Medication Training for all Direct Care Staff and Foster Providers, as needed;
- Make a determination of a Consumer’s Responsible Adult (CRA);
- Provide supervision of LVNs;
- Administer and monitor consumer’s medications;
- Monitor the consumers’ health data and information;
- Assist the consumers to secure emergency medical services;
- Make referrals for appropriate medical services;
- Perform health care procedures as ordered/prescribed by a physician/medical practitioner and required by standards of professional practice or law to be performed by licensed nursing personnel;
- Orders medications as needed for the Group Homes’
- Ensures a 72 hour supply of all medications are on hand at the Group Homes;
- Participate in Annual and Special Planning Conferences, as needed;
- Agrees to be on call after office hours, as needed to assist the consumers;
- Responds appropriately to all consumer crises;
- Complete monthly progress notes by the 3rd of the following month;
- Turn in billing to the Billing Department by the 3rd of each month;
- Participate in scheduled department and all staff meetings;
- Complete chart reviews of Medical Charts for Quality Assurance and to be survey ready at all times;
- Keep license current and in good standing.
Must have current RN license issued by the Texas Board of Nursing, Texas Driver’s License with a minimum of one-year driving experience. Current automobile insurance. Prefer at least one year’s experience working with developmental disabilities. Must have a clean criminal record and acceptable driving history. Must have reliable transportation to visit clients when necessary.